In this day and age, a degree in computer science gives you the opportunity or should I say flexibility to apply your skills in pretty much any industry since all of them depend on computers and systems to manage and run their operations effectively.
That said, let’s look at a few specific areas. A degree in computer science can be helpful in the following areas
- Systems development
- Network technology
- Mobile and telephone companies
- Web page designing
- Gaming and entertainment
- Software development
- Education (Under graduate and graduate levels)
- Non-technical areas (includes sales, technical writing and customer support areas)
Once again this is but a small sample of the available opportunities and areas and is not an extensive list of job opportunities.
The advantage of a computer science degree unlike most other degrees is that you are useful to organizations that are not remotely connected with computers. Computers and systems have become so pervasive and with good reason mind you that not only can you get jobs in software or hardware companies but also by a wide spectrum of companies.
Let us take a quick look at a few organizations or entities apart from software companies and start-ups that typically hire computer science graduates
The government is a huge employers of computer science graduates. Every year thousands of students join one or the other federal agencies to work on a number of systems and projects. Some of the kind of jobs you could end up doing if you are are hired by the government are
- Building, setting up and managing defense systems Implementation of ERP solutions for various government departments
- Designing and developing intranet applications
- Providing IT services to the various levels and departments of governments
- Providing consultancy on developing IT solutions and software for the many government programs
Another big employer of graduates with a computer science degree. Some of the jobs you could end up doing are listed below. The finance domain is pretty big and there are many specific tasks that require sound computer and development knowledge and experience.
- Developing and implementation of ERP solutions to suit the various departments in a banking setup, broking house or investment companies
- In house finance application design, development and management
- Designing and implementation of the payroll processing systems
- Developing interfaces between different disparate systems
- Developing software used by broking and investment houses that enable trading on the stock exchanges and clearing houses
No real surprise here, the manufacturing industry is becoming more and more high tech and process driven and a big portion of that is driven by the huge advances made in the field of computing. Some of areas that you could be of use are listed below.
- Developing inventory control modules
- Developing and implementation of ERP systems and solutions
- Maintenance of accounting software
- Creation of vendor support modules
- Designing and implementation of systems to support the sales and purchase functions
- Developing interface linking systems within the organization
There is an endless list of organizations or industries that require your services. The above is just an illustration of what is out there.
Many industries that we haven’t touched upon such as entertainment, hotels, hospitals and various health care organizations, educational institutions also require individuals with a computer science degree.
Of late, the gaming and animation industry have burst on the scene and in the past 3 – 4 years have built up huge momentum. The gaming industry thrives on computer usage and are hiring computer grads in a frenzy. Many individuals with the right degree in computer engineering are working with animation and gaming companies and are doing really well for themselves. The remuneration in these companies is also another factor that has led to an increase in employment in this particular industry.
Visit the career service department of your college or university and enquire about the types of jobs and employers that recruit computer science degree holders. It is one of the best ways to start your career and it also provides you the opportunity to interact with people in various industries. This will help you understand what you would be getting yourself into and whether or not that job is for you.
No Related Articles.