Language works as a medium to bridge the gap between cultures and countries. The economy is global and markets are spread across continents. Knowledge of languages enables business to flourish, brings about dialogue between governments of different countries and also facilitates the security of a nation by providing a means of negotiations between governments and terrorist organizations. It is because of this rapid globalization that a degree in foreign language can be real handy in the following industries and organizations
- Government department and agencies
- Hospitality industry
- Travel and Airlines industry
- Travel journalism
- Sports organizations
- International companies operating in the U.S. or U.S companies operating in foreign countries
- Law enforcement agencies
- Health care organizations
Each of these organizations and industries have their specific requirements for individuals with a degree in foreign language. In this article we’ve tried to provide you with information on a variety of areas that you could explore as a career choice and use your qualification to the fullest.
Let`s take a look at what you could be doing with a degree in foreign languages. Let’s start with various organizations and industries.
There are a number of government departments and agencies that require the services of people fluent in foreign languages. The government is the largest employer of individuals with degrees in foreign language.
In the government you have the following job opportunities-
- Translation or Interpretation
- Analysis of language and Linguistics
- Civil Service
- Foreign Service
- Immigration or Naturalization
- Security, Border protection
- Law Enforcement
- Journalism and Broadcasting
If you are keen on working with the government department or agencies then it is advised to obtain an internship with a federal agency and also maintain a Grade Point Average (GPA). Apply early for an internship and keep checking up on the availability. A graduate degree in foreign language is very useful in securing a position in the government department or agency.
Here is a list of departments and agencies that appoint graduates with a degree in foreign language
- Federal government organizations: Overseas aid agencies, intelligence and law enforcement agencies, the FBI, CIA and Drug Enforcement Administration.
- Department of State
- Homeland Security: US Customs and Border Patrol, US Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Department of Defense: US Armed Forces, National Guard and National Security Agency
- Department of Commerce
- Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Peace Corps, VISTA and AmeriCorps
- Congress Library
- US District Courts
Travel and Hospitality Industry
If you are interested in traveling, airline industry or the hospitality industry then you should consider this line of work. To attain a job in this industry you should have attended a course on hospitality, tourism management, restaurant management and administration.
You can take up the following jobs in this industry
- Translation or Interpretation
- Airline Services
- Hotel or Restaurant management
- Hotel or travel booking and reservations
- Travel Services and guidance
Interpretation and Translation
If you have a degree in more than one foreign language then the field of interpretation and translation worth considering. You could have the following job opportunities
- Interpretation (Obviously)
- Escort or Guide
- Judiciary and Legal
- Translation: Literary, localization, machine, medical and technical
To make it in this area, you have to be well versed with two or three languages. Middle Eastern and Asian languages have more demand than the other languages of late. Gain an internship in organization that requires the assistance of bilingual or multilingual individuals. This will further help you to hone your language skills.
If you have good written and oral communication skills then you should consider obtaining a state teacher`s license for the K-12 program. The field of education has the following job prospects
- Teaching and tutoring in foreign language
- Educational Administration: Student affairs, study abroad programs, international houses or cultural centers and international student services
- Social Work and mission work
- Library Science
- Health Services
- Non-profit organizations
Entertainment, Media and Arts
If you are the gregarious outgoing personality with an inclination towards arts and have good communication skills and very good inter personal skills then the field of entertainment, media and arts might be just your thing.
Some of the areas or jobs you could end up doing are listed below.
- Advertising and Marketing
- Publishing and editing
- Public Relations
- Performing arts
- Film direction and acting
- Historical arts and transcripts
Remember, the options in this article are not the only ones available to you. Get in touch with the careers department in your college or university and inquire about the types of jobs and employers. It is one of the best ways to start your career and it also provides you the opportunity to interact with people in various industries.